Without any doubt, FIFA World Cup is the biggest sporting event of the World held quadrennially. The competition is contested by 32 teams through a qualification round which is played by more than 200 nations worldwide. Today, I’m gonna share you some amazing jaw-dropping facts about the FIFA World Cup that shock you. Since the establishment of this competition, the tournament has got the everyone’s attention. It was initiated by a few nations in the beginning and now it is being competed by more than 200 countries, the most in any spot. So here we go!
20+ Amazing Facts about FIFA World Cup
- In the first-ever FIFA World Cup held in 1930, only 13 teams participated with just four from the European countries- France, Romania, Belgium, and Yugoslavia.
- 1942 and 1946 World Cups were canceled due to the 2nd World War due to which Olympics games were also canceled.
- Germany’s Miroslav Klose is the all-time top goalscorer of FIFA World Cup. The former German player has scored 16 goals in all 24 matches.
- Hakan Sukur, the former Turkish Footballer still holds the record of scoring the fastest goal. He took just 11 seconds to score the opening goal during the 3rd place playoff match between Turkey and South Korea in 2002 FIFA World Cup.
- Just Fontaine of France has the record of scoring most goals in a single edition. He netted 13 times in 1958 edition.
- England’s Bobby Charlton and Jack Charlton and Germany’s Fritz Walter and Ottmar Walter won the World Cup together with their respective teams in 1966 and 1954 respectively.
- Brazil has won the most titles  followed by Italy and Germany with 4 titles each.
- Germany has played the most FIFA World Cup finals . They have also scored 25 goals to win the 1954 World Cup.
- The host nations have won 6 of 20 all FWC editions. The host winners are Uruguay, Italy, England, Germany, Argentina, and France in 1930, 1934, 1966, 1974, 1978, and 1998 respectively.
- Hungary’s 10-1 win over El Salvador is the biggest win of any team in this tournament.
- Brazil National Football Team has played each and every edition of this competition since its establishment.
- With 25 defeats in the World Cup matches, Mexico has the most defeats.
- Oleg Salenko of Russia scored 5 goals in a single match, most by any player.
- Since 2026 edition, 48 teams will play the finals of FIFA World Cup.
- Qualification does matter a lot. Germany and Spain are the only two nations who won all games in their qualification round. Spain won 10 out of 10 to qualify for 2010 edition and Germany won all 10 to book a place for 2018 edition.
- Former Italian coach Vittorio Pozzo is the only coach who won two World Cups in 1934 and 1938. The current active World Cup-winning coach is Joachim Loew. Will do equalize this record?
- Pele is the youngest scorer and the winner of this tournament. He did it at the age of 17.
- Australia’s 31-0 win against American Samoa is the biggest win in the qualifiers.
- Out of all qualified countries in the finals of Football World Cup, Indonesia has played least games, just one.
- Italy holds the record of most number of draws .
- FIFA World Cup trophy was stolen and went missing for 7 days during 1966 just before the beginning.
So these are the facts of FIFA World Cup. Hope you like them. Now it’s your turn to share them with other Football fans. Use your super finger and share these facts on social platforms. Do comment below what you want to know.