Two neighboring teams are set to meet in the semifinal of 2018 FIFA World Cup scheduled to be held on 10 July. Belgium are playing their second ever semifinal. They are currently going through a remarkable unbeaten run but can they do it against France? The French team played dominant football in knock-out round with remarkable victories against Argentina and Uruguay. There will be a number of football stars with the likes of Antoine Griezmann, Eden Hazard, Kylian Mbappe, Paul Pogba, Kevin De Bruyne, Romelu Lukaku, and others. Before enjoying this giant clash, you would like to see match preview and interesting facts.
France vs Belgium 2018 Match Preview
Both teams are undefeated in this competition so far. France have won 4 and drew once. They begun the competition with a 2-1 win over Australia, followed by 1-0 win Peru and 0-0 draw against Denmark. Kylian Mbappe will be remembered for his two important goals against Argentina that confirmed 4-3 victory. They then won by 2-0 against Uruguay in quarterfinal.
Belgium won all 5 games including all group games. The red devils kept two clean sheets in the group stage with 3-0 win over Panama, 5-2 win over Tunisia, and 1-0 win against England who are also one of the semifinalists. Despite conceding two goals, Belgium responded fabulously and snatch another win. 2-1 win over the tournament favourites Brazil added another beautiful page in their Football history.
Three years ago in June, both sides met in an international friendly which was a 4-3 win of Belgium. Fellaini scored the opening goal and then doubled the lead. R. Nainggolan and Eden Hazard scored each. For France, Valbuena, Fekir, and Payet scored each goal. See France vs Belgium football history for more stats.
Belgium coach said “This group has to play with no fear at all. If we approach this match with fear within us, we will bring ourselves down and we’d be able to do so much less than what we can actually do.”
Interesting facts you should know
- France have played matches against Belgium, more than any other rival in all competitions. They’ve played 74 games against the red devils.
- Belgium never qualified for the final of FIFA World Cup. Their best finish in this competition came in 1986 when they qualified for semifinal and lost to Argentina who later won the title.
- This is the first appearance of France in semifinal in 12 years. In 2006 World Cup edition, they were the runners-up.
- France and Belgium met twice in FIFA World Cup. Both games ended in favour of the French side with 3-1 victory in 1938 and 4-2 win in 1986.
- Belgium’s second assistant coach Thierry Henry won the FIFA World Cup in 1988 as a French player. So you can say it’s a Win-Win situation for him.
- Eden Hazard was born in the Northern France. Newspaper Le Soir calling him “the most French of all the Belgians”.
- De Bruyne has created 16 goal scoring chances for Belgium with 282 touches compared to 5 chances of Paul Pogba with 314 touches.